Just as health care professionals are expected to adhere to health care ethics, people expect companies they depend on to act ethically. Especially in the banking industry, where people entrust their savings, dreams and futures to a business and its people.
Health Professionals Bank is owned by, and run for the benefit of our members. In a world of big promises and claims, it’s important that the bank you choose operates transparently with clearly defined values - and actions that reflect them.
We undertake rigorous third party assessment to ensure our operations and performance meet the strictest criteria for social responsibility. As a result, we’ve been named of the 2021 World’s Most Ethical Companies®, one of only five banks globally. This demonstrates our economic, social and environmental commitment to people, profit and planet.
What we do
- We pioneered $1billion of ethical investment as the first bank in Australia to certify wholesale funds, the first based on fossil fuel exclusion.
- The Bank’s Certified Responsible and Ethical Investment products on the balance sheet grew 347% to reach $764million in FY 2019.
- We are the only Australian bank with retail deposits, mortgages, and wholesale funding all certified as ethical or responsible.
- We report on our environment, social and governance (ESG) performance annually across 85 targets and KPIs.
- 45 external performance results highlight our consistency and excellence practice social responsibility.
- We have strict social responsibility exclusion criteria in our lending. These exclusions mean we won’t provide funding where ‘the primary purpose of the entity or business is alcohol, armaments, correctional facilities, cryptocurrency, deforestation or gross environmental degradation, gambling, military activities, political activities, pornography, slavery, tobacco or uranium.'
- No political donations; we do not donate, give gifts or employee or management time, to support political candidates or political organisations.
- As a member of the Global Alliance on Banking on Values (GABV), we adhere to its Principles of Values-based banking, which establishes a triple bottom line approach at the heart of the business model.
- We support the UN Sustainable Finance Roadmap for Australia, designed to reset the $10 trillion sector to a sustainable future.
- The Bank strives for excellence and international leadership in its business practices and its Mission states that ‘The Bank will operate in an ethically, socially and environmentally responsible manner.’